Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Let me introduce myself...Who am I again?

Who might I be? Is it wrong to still not know? I do know the facts though. I am a strong woman, one that will never be taken advantage of unless it is a matter of the heart. I seem to always give you one more chance even if I say that I won't. I am one with no regrets...sort of. I am one with great wit. I am sarcastic. I am hilarious. I am a wife, a mother..twice, a sister who doesn't really know hers, I am a daughter that tends to snap at her parents because they are no longer the people she remembers. I am a stay-at-home mom always looking for a way to work from home so that I can be with my kids.

I realized that when it comes down to it, all we really NEED is our health. Nothing else is fun without it. I see that truth in my father. He is 78. He has had a couple of strokes that have caused him to deteriorate over time. He can barely walk. He suffers from incontinence. He has lost the will to care. I think he may even be depressed. He doesn't really interact with my children which breaks my heart. I get angry at him and then realize that I just have very unrealistic expectations of my father. My husband reminds me to be patient.

My husband is kind and full of fire. He is smart. He takes much better care of me than I do. He is a wonderful father that takes great care of our children. He loves to spend time with them more than anything. He surfs well. I am terrible at it. We spend a lot of time together. We are a beautiful family.

My older son is going to be 3 and he can be funny, smart, mean, sweet, sensitive, etc. etc. etc. He goes to a very loving daycare that teaches him wonderful socializational skills. His vocabulary is amazing and surprising. We considered keeping him at home with me but realized what a disservice it would be to take him away from such an educational and loving atmosphere. He loves his daddy so much. He is his little shadow.

My little baby boy will be 1 soon and he is the happiest baby I have ever seen. He laughs all the time. He never stops smiling. He loves his mama. He is growing by leaps and bounds.

With all of these aspects, do we ever really know who we are? I am not the person I was when I was in my 20s, teaching snowboarding in Mammoth. I am not the person I was 5 years ago when I married my husband. I am who I am right now. The person that is a wife, mother of 2, sister of a woman I barely know (I'll touch on that another time.), daughter of aging parents, and so on. As each event occurs in our lives, we change who we are. We adapt. We think differently. We are somebody new every day.

Today I am a little bit new.

No comments: